Staying at home with your baby can be quite boring and lonely.
Yes, your baby is with you 24/7 so technically, you’re not really alone. But sometimes you need to feel like yourself again, you need to do something fun and engaging, instead of being on “mom mode” all the time.
If you’ve been feeling this way recently and you have no idea what to do with your limited free time, then this article is for you.
I have below an epic list of 110 hobbies for stay at home moms, to give you some ideas on how to preserve your sanity in a relaxing yet productive way.
But first, let’s discuss why everyone needs a hobby, even busy moms like us.
I hope you’ll love the products we recommend! Just a quick note: if you click on a product link below and decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission.
Why Having Hobbies are Essential
Hobbies are important because of the benefits they bring such as:
- Helps moms rediscover themselves
- Relieves stress and tension
- Helps you make friends
- Can make you feel happier and relaxed
- Offers new experiences and opportunities
- Can make you feel more fulfilled
Hobbies in general, improve our emotional, mental and physical health. It’s a self-care activity that keeps you busy yet happy!
Now let’s take a look at these epic lists of hobbies that you can do at home or outdoors.
110+ Hobbies for Stay at Home Moms
Money-Making Hobbies for Stay at Home Moms
- Teach or tutor – Teach English online or do one-on-one tutoring on any subject you’re an expert on
- Make an Etsy account – Sell your bespoke jewelry, soap, t-shirts, stuffed toys, printables, etc.
- Sell on eBay – Round up your unused and used but still decent items and sell them
- Bake – Learn to bake cake, pastries and more and sell your delicious treats
- Freelance Writing – If you have a knack for writing, earn from it by applying to job sites requiring freelance writers.
- Graphic Design – Do it as a side hustle and apply at Upwork and other freelance websites.
- Antiquing – Fond of looking at furniture antiques and what not? You can buy some and sell them for a profit!
- Start a Youtube channel – Earn from sponsorships and/ or ads
- Start a blog – Earn from affiliates, ads, and even from your products!
- Become an Influencer – Get paid to promote products/ services
Educational Hobbies for Stay-at-Home Moms
- Do crosswords or jigsaw puzzles
- Play mind games on your app
- Online classes/ courses – Take up photography, photoshop, learn web development, creative writing, and more.
- Learn a new language
- Learn to play an instrument – piano, guitar, ukulele, etc.
- Investing – Become a financial literate
- Go bird-watching – Learn about various species of birds
- Watch documentaries – Learn interesting, useful, historical, and current events
- Genealogy – Discover your family’s history and ancestry
- Collecting – Stamps, vinyl records, coins, comic books, etc.
Arts and Crafts Hobbies for SAHM
- Cross stitching
- Crocheting/ Knitting
- Scrapbooking or making a vision board
- Ceramics or Pottery
- Paper crafting
- Cricut crafts
- Candle making
- Soap making
- Basket weaving
- Resin Art
Cooking and Kitchen-Related Hobbies for Mothers
- Learn 2 new recipes per week
- Making pastries
- Cookie decorating
- Bread baking
- Coffee brewing
- Cocktail mixing
- Jam making
- Food carving
- Make DIY sauces and spices
Creative Hobbies for Moms
- Make creative social media posts- this is when you don’t want to be an influencer, but you’re good with creating funny, touching, and amusing posts
- Lettering/ Calligraphy
- Learn hair and makeup techniques
- Flower arranging
- Interior Decorating
- T-shirt Making
- Create a family photo book
- Gaming – It’s mentally stimulating, creative, and fun at the same time
- Do DIY projects- Facial masks, cleaning products, toys for your kid, etc.
Outdoor and Sporty Hobbies for Stay at Home Moms
- Join a fitness class
- Sign up for marathons
- Table Tennis
- Martial Arts
- Rock climbing
- Get a baby carrier and go hiking with your baby
- Raise chickens and other farm animals if you have the space and time
Social Hobbies for Stay-at-Home Moms
- Board games
- Chess/ backgammon
- Join Quiz and trivia nights
- Join activity groups – book clubs, choirs, toastmasters, mensa, etc.
- Join nonprofit organizations
- Team sports
- Volunteer to host and plan parties and events
- Training your pet
- Listening to podcasts/ audiobooks
- Adult coloring book
- Poem writing
- Organizing and decluttering
- Singing – just do it anywhere, anytime, even with your kids!
- Writing your memoir
- Visiting museums
How to Make Time For Hobbies As A Busy Mom
It’s not happening if it’s not on your calendar.
You will forget it, you will brush it aside, you will not give importance to it unless it’s in your calendar.
So schedule it. Pick a date and time, then ask or pay someone to look after your kid. Or look and book an age-appropriate class for them.
Utilize sleeping time and “alone time”
And that means when your kids are napping or sleeping at night. Or when you’re alone doing an errand or in your car.
Go and do a hobby that doesn’t take much effort and time by then, such as reading, listening to a podcast, journaling, etc.
Use TV and baby gears and toys
Distract your kids for an hour or so with some educational shows, put them in their cribs or play gym, use a playpen) and add in some age-appropriate toys.
Use these items or more, so you can do your hobby in peace.
Bring your kid
It’s not an ideal scenario but it can be a fun one!
You can think of this as a bonding activity with your kid and hopefully, you’ll feel a little bit relaxed afterward.
Use a baby carrier and go hiking, bird-watching, photography, etc.
Takeaway on Hobbies for Stay at Home Moms
If you’re the type that has a hobby involving your children and you genuinely feel relaxed and happier spending so much time with them, then stick to it!
But if you think you’re doing a hobby and it makes you feel more stressed and anxious, drop it. That’s not a hobby, that’s a job.
My hobby is this blog. I find it fun and exhilarating trying out new things here and learning about SEO, keyword research, etc.
Sometimes though I feel overwhelmed with how many things I need to do for my blog. But at the end of the day, it genuinely makes me feel happier and more fulfilled as a mother.
If you don’t have any idea how to spend your free time engagingly, I suggest going through this list of hobbies for stay at home moms and pick one or two to try out.